King Song S18 Electric Unicycle
The Inmotion V11 was announced about a week before the King Song S18, so how do these two new suspension Wheels stack up against each other on paper? The graphic on the left is a side-by-side comparison of the different design philosophies the two Companies have taken in producing their first suspension Wheel. In short, King Song’s S18 is intended as a comparatively short-range ‘sport’ vehicle, with an emphasis on being elegant & light. At the same time, the V11 offers a larger battery pack (the largest produced by Inmotion to date), which could be considered more of a Cruiser.
- Suspension: The S18 has an extra 30mm vertical travel on paper, 100mm vs. 70mm on the V10. Both the S18 & V11 have air suspensions that can be adjusted according to the Rider’s weight and ride performance. The S18 has a superior suspension system.
- Battery & Range: the Inmotion V11 packs in an additional 20x LG M50T/18.75Wh 21700 type battery cells within the shell; this compares with the S18’s 60x cells of the same type. All other factors being equal, the V11 has a more excellent riding range
- Max Speed & Motor Power: several factors determine a machine’s true power capability, including the number of parallel battery cells, voltage, controller’s rate-limiting, & the motor itself—a higher wattage motor does not necessarily translate into a higher operating speed. With the higher number of battery cells, the V11 offers a more significant power margin over the S18.
- Retractable/folding Handle: here, the two models have adopted very different solutions for their trolley handle: the V11 has an external ‘scorpion’ style, which appears improved over the earlier V10/V5F type, while the S18 has the retractable telescopic rails extend through the Wheel’s body, similar to earlier models. The S18s Handle is better centered but is also more fragile.
- Lighting: both designs have jettisoned the typical side LED atmospheric light-show of models in favor of dramatically increased headlight—in the case of Inmotion, taillight too—luminosity. The S18 has a unique high-beam/low-beam headlight that dips when there’s an oncoming light source. Both the S18 & V11 offer substantially higher illumination than found on earlier models.
- Weight: in this category, the King Song S18 has a clear advantage in being 4.5lb lighter than the V11.
- Misc: unique features are found on both models; the V11 has an integrated folding stand to keep the Wheel upright, each comes with the same 2.5A/84V XVE fanless charger & is fitted with oversized>9″ grippy pedals & the lift for motor disengagement function.